The Laidlaw Undergraduate Research and Leadership Scholarship programme aims to develop a new generation of leaders who are skilled researchers, embrace data-based decision making, and believe it is a moral imperative to lead with integrity.
It invests in talented and motivated undergraduate students, giving them the knowledge, skills and experience to become active global citizens and future leaders in their chosen field.
The Laidlaw Scholars programme uniquely funds both undergraduate research and leadership development. It has four components to it:
- A research project of your choice – 6 weeks duration over the summer
- Leadership development training – a multi-day retreat supplemented by group work, exercises, dinners and other inspiring programme activities between your first and second Scholarship summers
- Leadership-in-action experience (either overseas or in disadvantaged communities at home) – 6 weeks over your second summer in a new and challenging environment, putting into practise the leadership expertise you have learnt in theory
- Global networking through an online Scholars community: The Laidlaw Scholars Network
10 REASONS TO BECOME A LAIDLAW SCHOLAR
- Produce important research. The Laidlaw Scholars programme gives you the opportunity to spend 6 weeks over the summer researching a subject about which you are passionate; that you believe pushes the frontiers of knowledge and will solve one of the world’s intractable problems or unanswered questions.
- Work with a leading academic. Experience PhD level opportunities as an undergraduate, be supervised by a leading academic and / or work with an experienced research team exploring primary data, developing your investigative skills; honing your critical thinking in any Arts & Humanities, Medicine & Health, Social Sciences or STEM topic area.
- Know what makes you succeed. Understand your own strengths and weaknesses, motivators and preferences. The Laidlaw Scholars programme provides assessments, training, coaching and a retreat to help you know what brings you joy and success.
- Develop your leadership skills. In bespoke training days, workshops and social gatherings, explore leadership values, understand and develop core leadership attributes; discover the latest leadership thinking and meet leadership experts. Join in group work, cultural capital experiences and paying it forward activities to make you a better #NextGen Leader.
- Put your leadership knowledge into practise. Spend 6 weeks in your second Scholarship summer, putting into practise what you have learnt in theory about purpose, strategy, planning, execution, communication and influencing skills, team work, resilience and being a global citizen.
- Be the change you want to see in the world. Whether it is implementing the findings of your research, joining a leadership expedition with the likes of Raleigh International or Think Pacific (leading a community project in one of the world’s poorest communities) or joining a social enterprise or NGO programme, this is your opportunity to challenge yourself, appreciate what you have and support those less fortunate.
- Live and work overseas. Immerse yourself in a completely new and challenging environment, living and / or working with local communities who have experienced hardship and deprivation. Build your resilience and experience life outside of your comfort zone.
- Create memories to last a lifetime. When you join a Laidlaw volunteering expedition, you will meet Scholars from other universities and countries, work on projects that test your ingenuity and strength; in doing so, you will build memories, develop cultural awareness, acquire leadership skills and forge friendships that will last a lifetime.
- Join a network of Global Scholars. All Laidlaw Scholars become part of an expert community of ambitious, brave, curious, determined and extraordinary peers; contributing and collaborating to the Laidlaw Scholars Network. This on-line community platform enables you to publish your research, connect, collaborate and flourish.
- Be paid. You could spend your summers working in a bar, fast food chain or faceless corporation; or you could spend it researching something that will make a difference, becoming a better leader and an active global citizen. Come on, you have made a lot harder decisions than this in your life, apply NOW
DO YOU WANT TO BE ONE OF A NEW GENERATION OF LEADERS THAT DELIVERS POSITIVE CHANGE?
The Laidlaw Scholars Programme is a vibrant community of exceptional undergraduates that want to make a difference. Successful Scholarship applicants will develop their individual, team and situational leadership skills.
Your Scholarship begins with a multi-day retreat with your fellow scholars. Here you will improve your self-knowledge and awareness, gain a clear understanding of your values, strengths and areas for growth, learn about leadership styles, improve your social and cultural intelligence, discover how to manage a research project and much more.
Between your first and second Scholarship summers you will benefit from a bespoke programme of leadership development activities that include: experiential learning activities, leadership dinners and forums, group work, community out-reach, building cultural capital, coaching and mentoring.
Please click on the link below to access the full digital brochure.